This machine was developed in the 20th century by the following companies: Yale, Towne, and Clark. It serves different functions, such as transporting and moving cargo. The transport of steel and wood equipment. They are also used in recycling operations. This article discusses some of the standard operating procedures of operating a forklift.
Personal protective tools and equipment
Each individual is expected to;
- Have the foot protection gears on
- Have the hearing protection materials on
- Have sunscreen on
- Also, wear protective clothing
Before operation (pre-occupational) safety procedure
. Ensure the seat belt is well-restrained and it is in a good condition
- Ensure both the warming lights and beeper are operating well
- Always check on the brakes and lights before use
- Ensure you have familiarised yourself well with the machine operations and controls
- Know precisely the capacity of the forklift
- Check whether the gas is leaking
- Check also on the tire pressure
Operational control and safety measures
- Slow down when changing the directions, especially on oil surfaces
- When negotiating a corner, drive carefully.
- Carry with your someone to guide you when loads hinder you from seeing clearly
- Before lifting the load, ensure it is well-stabilized
Forklift standard operating procedures should be adhered to strictly
Refuelling control measures
- Always charge the gas-powered cars in a well-ventilated area.
- Change the gas cylinder in an area that has proper ventilation.
Offloading control measures or What to do when stopping the forklift
- Park the forklift on a ground that is even and lower the forks on the ground
- Shift the gear lever to a park position and apply the brakes responsible for parking
- Turn off the ignition and take out the keys
For gas-powered vehicles, switch off the gas and avoid parking near an ignition source.
The dont’s Forklift standard operating procedures safety measures
- Don’tDon’t lift a load when the forklift is lifted forward
- Never travel when the bag is in an elevated position
- Never allow any other person to ride the forks
- Never turn it on when on a sloppy surface
- When the forklift is not attended, don’t leave the fork in an elevated position
- Never top-up fuel in a forklift that is engine-powered unless the ignition is turned off
- Report any faulty equipment immediately
- All engine-powered forklifts should be used in well-ventilated areas
Other Forklift standard operating procedures include:
Never drive in highly flammable areas.
Guards that are found in a forklift
- The overhead guard is used to protect the user of the forklift from falling objects
- The backrest.
- A foot guard is used to protect the operator’soperator’s feet.
In conclusion, following the above standard procedures should ensure safety when using a forklift.